As a result of the recent consolidation in the enterprise software space, “open source” has finally entered mainstream IT with more organizations implementing open-source applications and tools across their application portfolio.
Having said that, open source is a complex world with many product options in a given technology area and questions around licensing options/constraints, long-term support models, developer productivity, and total cost of ownership.
Agilesys categorizes open source products in one of the following categories:
- Open source operating systems such as Android and Linux
- Open source programming languages/tools such as Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, JBoss, Rails, and Grails
- Open source frameworks such as Hibernate, Spring, and Pentaho
- Open source enterprise software such as Alfresco, Liferay, Joomla, Drupal, and Fuse
- Open source enterprise applications such as SugerCRM, Moodle, and OpenBravo
The Agilesys team has experience in deploying open source tools in mid-to-large enterprises and software product organizations. Through this hands-on experience, Agilesys offers both strategic advisory and implementation services in most open source categories.
Our strategic advisory services include:
- Open source primer – targeted to IT leadership on licensing, development model, and support options
- Open source implementation roadmap development
- Tool evaluation for specific categories such as Java frameworks, mobile toolkits, ESB tools, and WCM tools
- Tool deployment/rollout approach/program management
Our execution services include:
- Product implementation within the WCM space – Alfresco, Liferay, Joomla and Drupal implementation
- New application development using Java/J2EE, LAMP, RubyOnRails, GroovyOnGrails and other open source programming environments
- Migration from commercial Unix OS (AIX and SunOS) to Linux OS
- Migration from a commercial app server (Websphere and Weblogic) to open source app server (Apache, JBOSS)
- Migration from commercial database (SQL Server, and Oracle) to an open source database (MySQL, Postgress SQL)
- Migration to an open source framework (Spring and Hibernate)